Sunday, November 11, 2012

Great discussion

On Thursday, November 9, I met with a group of really amazing people from various careers to talk about video games in general and Minecraft (in our schools) specifically. I will be talking about this more on my other blog (http://mondaymollymusings.blogspot.com) but I wanted to mention how enjoyable this meeting was. The conversation was passionate and interesting. One of the key things I learned from this meeting is that stories are important as evidence. The GamingEdus (three TDSB educators using Minecraft) in their reflections on their process have often talked about if we were gathering enough evidence and the right kind of evidence to support our assertions that video games (and not gamification) are good things to use in schools. That's why I'll continue to keep sharing stories of our family and their game-playing activities, in the hope that these tales can be of use, both to researchers studying these topics and to parents and educators worried about the negative impact of video games on their children.

That meeting on November 9 was five hours long (I left home at 6:00 p.m. to get to the site and made it home at 12:45 a.m.) but it was worth the exhaustion the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment