Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Monster in the Hall - 1980s Invented Games

I'd like to thank my daughter for posting yesterday. I'll try and encourage her to write on this blog more often, as I like how she crafts a good story. We had a little discussion about what counts as appropriate content for our "Family Gaming" blog and I think I convinced her that it can be more than just video games or board games. Unlike Mary, I have a very poor memory and I don't recall the incident with the vampire/pirate game that she described. However, I do remember a game my own mother used to play with my siblings and me when we were kids.

I don't know if it ever had a specific title (and I didn't know if I've written about this prior to today - if I have, bear with me), but for today's descriptive purpose, I'll call it "The Monster in the Hall". My mom would close all the doors to the bedrooms and bathrooms (which were accessible by a single hall) and hide in one of the rooms. My sister, brother, and I would have to walk down the hall quietly without disturbing the monster hiding within. If she heard us, she'd burst out of the room and chase us to the living room. The couch was "home free". The added thrill/fright with this game was that my mom had dentures at a relatively early age and she'd remove her false teeth when she played the monster and would pretend to bite us if she caught us before we made it to the security of the chesterfield. I remember being scared out of my wits and simultaneously delighted with the game. My mother turns 75 years old this December and is still full of vim and vigor. I'll have to ask her if she remembers this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment