Saturday, April 2, 2011

Just Dance: Personal Goals

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I play the Just Dance group of games (Just Dance, Just Dance 2 and Just Dance For Kids) as daily exercise and fun with my daughter. It's something we do together. The thing is, I'm in my late thirties and I have past extensive experience with dancing and choreography; she's eleven and only took a dance class when she was three. I worried that she'd be discouraged that every time we'd play, I'd always be the one that won. I know that the games have collaborative options, but she never chose those paths.

I can't remember who thought of this, but my girl began keeping a list in a journal of the scores she earned in Just Dance. Then, when we'd play a song we had done before, she'd compare her current score with her previous one and write down the highest number. What was great about this system was she could compete against herself, not against her mom. We'd both celebrate if she beat her old high score, just like we'd celebrate if I beat mine. She has started to do this for Just Dance For Kids. It's great for her self-esteem and still keeps the game interesting for us all, as we work through every song on the play list.

No comments:

Post a Comment